Code of Conduct for Players
The following Code of Conduct is produced by Badminton England.
Who does this apply to?
The Players Code of Conduct applies to all individuals participating in badminton as a player at every level.
If the code is breached and reported, all complaints and allegations will be acted upon according to the Badminton England Disciplinary Regulations and/or Child Protection Disciplinary Procedures
- Show respect for and treat everyone equally regardless of age, ability, gender, race, religion, ethnic origin, social status or sexual orientation. Everyone has the right to be protected from abuse
- Respect the rights, dignity and worth of every person within the context of badminton
- Play within the laws of the game and respect all officials and their decisions
- Accept the referees decision without question or complaint (let your captain or coach ask the necessary questions)
- Help injured players and opponents
- Take personal responsibility to ensure that they are suitably insured for their activities
- Wear appropriate clothing for playing badminton during training and competition
- Applaud good performance and efforts from all individuals and teams
- Congratulate all participants on their performance regardless of the game’s outcome
- Keep to agreed times for training and competitions, and inform the appropriate person if they need to withdraw or cannot avoid being late
Players will NOT
- Consume alcohol or illegal substances
- Use any language /gestures that may cause offence to anyone on the grounds of their age, ability, sex, disability, race, background, gender status or sexual orientation
- Condone behaviour that contravenes the Badminton England Codes of Conduct or prohibited practice
- Use illegal or dangerous tactics
- Ridicule or shout at other players for making a mistake or losing a game
- Use social or any other electronic media to publicly criticise any other player or official involved in the game of badminton or otherwise bring the sport into disrepute through inappropriate communications
Children's Code of Conduct
There is a children's code of conduct outlined by Badminton England too. For more information, click here.